29 September 2009

just occured to me...

Sometimes I forget I live in London. Maybe because I have become so comfortable here that it does not seem like a foreign city anymore. Maybe it's because the things/images that we as Americans most often link to London (Big Ben, Parliament, the Eye, Tower Bridge, palace guards, etc) are not on my daily radar. The red double decker buses are, but I suppose they have just become so familiar after over a year that they have lost the London-specific, romantic connotations. The modern ones anyways, the old Route Masters are still wicked awesome. Maybe it's because with Ben over here for a bit now, the only person who I saw daily back in NH I know see daily once again.

And then it suddenly occurred to me while listening to my co-workers complain (again...and again and again) that I am surrounded by Americans. Literally. There is one person on the floor I work on who is not (she is Greek), and maybe only 6 non-Americans in the whole office. And (stereotypically) 95% of the outspoken ones (read, the ones I have to listen to speaking the most) are from the States.

It is hard to remember you live in England when 9 out of 10 people you interact with on a daily basis are Americans...

No comments:

Post a Comment