4 January 2015

First snow of 2015 NYC, by Shaul Schwarz [3 January 2015]

Ok, so it's been [checks date of last blog post] 21 months since I last wrote anything on this page. Do I have an excuse? Not really. I could say I've been busy relocating from London, to Georgia, up to New England again, and finally settling in NYC. I could say I've been busy with ever changing roles at my job. I could say time was taken up by friends getting married, buying houses, moving, and changing jobs.

To be honest though? It's mostly just that I'm lazy.

But it's a new year! Resolutions and all that jazz. So here we go!

We did get some snow here in Brooklyn yesterday morning, though only for about 20 minutes, after which it promptly turned into rain for the rest of the day. Baby winter steps I suppose. I think I got spoiled by the "harsh" winter NYC experienced last year, which to me was just about brushing the lower level of what I think winter should be. Most of my co-workers, on the other hand, thought it was a snowpocalypse. The city will probably get some actual snow this year, but most likely not like last winter. I will just [still] have to live vicariously through Boston.

Overall we are liking living in Brooklyn. With the layout of NYC's five boroughs, sometimes it is easy to forget we actually do live in NYC, especially since we do not get into Manhattan all that often. But we are looking to move into a less suburban-like, more city-like neighborhood this month, which will help. I still don't feel quite the connection to this city I did with London, but I am really hoping to get there soon.

In sports news, the Patriots are back in the playoffs! Woohoo! Check back in this space next weekend to see how the first game against the Ravens goes. [oh man I hope it goes well...]

I also am trying to find a project to work on/volunteer for/establish myself which centers around the more social + design issues I am interested in. With the hours I've been putting in at work, it's been hard to motivate myself to do something with my free time, especially in the winter with the limited sunlight. But lately I am trying to keep myself as close to 40 hours a week as I can, which hopefully should give me the time to get my ass going a bit.

So, you know, a few small goals for the new year.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment