19 April 2010

discovered on a fellow Fellow's (hee) blog, the most recent impact of that damn volcanic eruption in iceland.
[and if ben and I aren't flying to dc come friday morning, that volcano's gonna get a piece of my mind.]

from The Guardian:
"Air freight problems arising from ash cloud over Europe could leave supermarkets short of perishable products within days. Britain's supermarkets could soon run short of perishable goods including exotic fruits and Kenyan roses as the ongoing ban on UK air travel brought Britain's largest perishable air freight handling centre to a standstill today."

I mean, it's from The Guardian, so obviously it's a bit dramatized, but the point still stands. the way the uk (and most larger countries) obtain their perishable food is none too sustainable. As ben and I can attest to, grown near-by and in-season is not a bad thing. actually, it's rather nice.

Either way, makes me damn glad our fruit and veg comes locally (sometimes from hackney itself! which is wicked awesome), and my constant stream of delicious beetroot (which I have a newfound love of) will not be disrupted.

[reminder to self: put up kick-ass beetroot and potato gratin recipe...]

No comments:

Post a Comment