24 February 2011

.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle

I don't know how I have gotten this far into my life without reading this book.
it's one of those standards of literature that you always think about reading, talk about reading, but never actually get around to reading.

and then you are stranded in northern new hampshire, just finished your current book and end up scrounging the fiance's bookshelves.

and finally end up reading it.

having read quite a few other books in the sherlock holmes series, I knew the basic approach conan doyle takes with his mysteries. seemingly supernatural occurrence, often involving murder of some sort, but with an entirely rational explanation.

the thing I particularly enjoyed about this story was that for the majority it focused on watson, not holmes.
watson was the one to travel to dartmoor (locale of said mystery, and totally awesome side note: I've been there.), watson was the one to make the investigations, get to know the suspects and work towards solving the crime.
holmes comes in at the end, but it was rather neat to get to know what usually is seen as a secondary character better.

[and yes, I was visualizing jude law and robert downey jr as watson and holmes, respectively. wouldn't you?]

overall, a nice quick thoroughly enjoyable read.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment