24 February 2011

.

Schulz and Peanuts, by David Michaelis

I actually had a hard time getting through this book.
it's 650 pages.
and while I never shy away from a long book (in fact, I relish in them), to be completely honest, charles schulz's life just wasn't that interesting.
300 page biography interesting? yes.
you could even make a case for 400 page biography interesting.

but 650 page biography interesting?
nope.

if I had to hear one more time about how he was different as a child, how he had loving mother complexes, how he felt superior to his cousins, etc etc etc, I was going to give up for good.
yes, these years and feelings shaped his life, affected his choices and pretty much made the peanuts cartoon what it was. but I think repeating the same sentiment 5 times over is enough. no need to repeat it 12 times.

and the thing is, the last 20 years or so of his life are almost skimmed over.
here, oddly enough, I felt cheated. I wanted to know more.

less first 8 years. more last 20 years.

but all that aside, it's still pretty interesting.
and there are lots of peanuts cartoons scattered throughout to keep you interested.
and the book really does make you appreciate his unique genius, especially considering the era in which he grew up.

you just may have to space it out.
not read it all in one go.

[also, don't try reading two biographies at once like I did. not a good idea...]

it's a solid decent book.
not horrible.
but not phenomenal either.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment