24 February 2011

.

The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, by Rick Riordan

[I'm just gonna review all five books as one. (they are a series after all)]

these were wicked fun.

yes. they are technically aimed at children...but I care not.
after two intense biographies I needed a mental break.
and if I was a 6th grader? I would have lapped these books up.
(....I may have done that anyways....)

very similar in theme to the harry potter series (boy discovers he is special and different [greek demi-god vs wizard] at age ten, goes on to train in new found special power with other new found similar kids [camp half-blood vs hogwarts], makes powerful enemy [ancient titans, specifically kronos vs evil wizards, specifically voldemort], has prophecy about him [from the oracle of delphi vs from sybill trelawney] and goes on to ultimately defeat afore-mentioned powerful enemy with help of a trio of friends [main boy + smart girl + slightly clumsy boy satyr vs main boy + smart girl + slightly clumsy boy].

it is not as well written as harry potter.

it is not as complex and nuanced.

and it is glorious.

romping good time, all five.

I may be looking forward to when the squeal series of books comes out...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment