11 June 2010

went to a fabulous gig last night in east london.


it was awesome. hadn't been out for live music in far too long, and I have found that some of the best comes out of random gigs that friends know of. that's how I discovered my love for the dirty skirts. tagged along with my friend sarah to a gig of theirs on brick lane a couple of years ago. they're a south african band, she's south african and her husband was do some tech for the show. they have been a fixture on my ipod ever since.

my friend katie played in the band we saw last night when she lived in philly (the violin, and I think a few other instruments. I don't think there is an instrument that girl can't play). when she heard they were doing a european tour, kicking off in london, katie being katie, managed to set up the gig for them by talking to a friend of a friend of a friend who owns a bar/club/flexible artistic space that just opened up in east london by london fields. this guys listened to the band's (gemini wolf) music, picked a couple other bands he thought had a similar sound, and set the whole thing up for them.

so we got to see three local/independent music groups last night, all for free. for the opening act, it was their first ever live gig! it was great. grabbed some drinks, lounged on the sofas, met some really cool new people from peru, hung out with good friends and listened to some pretty fabulous music.

the only downside? it was a thursday night. I didn't get home till one in the morning (and only that by sprinting up kingsland high street to catch the 243. it was a close call). work today. there has been a constant stream of tea/caffeine into my body since 8:30 this morning.

but it was totally worth it.


[just can't do that too often. I'm getting old...]
.

No comments:

Post a Comment