24 January 2011

.

just finished this collection of short stories on friday and I cannot say enough good things about them.
they were phenomenal.

written around characters with varying ties to India (first generation born in america, immigrant in america, impoverished in india, americans of indian decent visiting india, so on and so forth) the stories lull you in and then knock you flat on your back.
the characters are utterly relate-able, the plot lines recognizable as something, anything, you or somebody you know has gone through, and the writing is so seamless you almost miss your stop on the T. (no. of course that didn't happen to me. why do you ask?)
and in a pretty neat coincidence, the stories/portions of stories that take place in america are set in cambridge, boston, which I am currently turning into my new home.

needless to say,  by the time I got to the end of the book I wanted 10 more stories.
at least.

I'm not going to get that, so instead I am going to search down all her other books and read those asap.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment